I specialize in two things: building good-looking Magento webshops and ensuring good conversion rates (sales) for our clients. While trying to identify how to improve webshop conversion, I often use Google analytics to see what’s going on.
One of the nicest features of Google Analytics is the ‘Goal’ feature. It allows you to set goals (=sale or leads) for your site and track how successful you are. Via the sales funnel you can see quite nicely how you are doing and what you can do to improve your webshop conversion.
This short article describes how to set-up a ‘Goal’ for your Magento webshop in Google Analytics. It presumes you have already set-up Google analytics on your Magento webshop.
1) Login to Google analytics and select the site you want to set-up a goal for. Click edit.
3) Give your goal a name (for example ‘Sale’) and configure the screen as follows:
- Select ‘URL Destination’ as goal type.
- Select ‘Head Match’ as match type.
- The Goal URL, is the URL when a sale is completed. For Magento shops this is usually:
- In Goal value enter the average order amount you normally have in your shop.
- Then click: ‘Yes, create a funnel for this goal’
4) Now we have to set-up the different steps in getting to the goal ‘Sale’
- In Step 1 we will add the following URL: http://www.yourdomain.com/index.php and call it ‘Home’ – This is your homepage
- In Step 2 we will add the following URL: http://www.yourdomain.com/checkout/cart/ and call it ‘Cart’ – This your shopping cart page (yahooo somebody added a product to his shopping cart!)
- In Step 3 we will add the following URL: http://www.yourdomain.com/checkout/onepage/ and call it ‘Checkout’ – The customers getting to this page actually want to proceed with the order. Only step left is to have them press ‘order now’🙂
5) Click ‘Save Goal’.
Now do this take a piece of paper and write down how many customer you think actually complete your purchase process after they have reached the checkout process…..80%, 40%…10%? Let the statistics run for a couple of days, make sure everything is working as it should and check your sales funnel. It should look something like this:
What is your percentage and how can you improve it…..that’s the topic of our next post.
If you need any help on this post, or are looking for an experienced Magento partner, feel free to contact us!